Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Virginia

         How long will it be come March 27? Right, it will be four years. Viring, I always call her by her nickname, will be having her fourth anniversary. Seems like only yesterday. And it has been months since I last paid her a visit. Never forgot to always bring along fresh flowers and a pair of candles. 
        I could still remember seeing the trees lined up by the side of the paved road. Its branches were seldom without birds perching on it and others flying about. The bells from the old cathedral ringing nearby on some of the days. A few workers doing whatever there is to do and one or two guards roaming around the area. An elderly caretaker most of the time can be seen lounging in the churchyard. 
        Distinctly I can remember this caretaker, wearing a pair of very thick eyeglasses, had at one time almost hit his head on on the pavement in one of the aisles. There he stayed in a prone position and unable to pick himself up. Nobody hearing his plea for help to get him up. Too old to really shout out loud. It was more like a whimper. Rushed to him then and helped him up back to his feet. After a while and maybe getting back his senses again, off he went away to his usual business.
        Viring knew that old man long time before she died. And so too with her other relatives. 
        Viring used to visit and sweep clean the family's mausoleum. I would often accompany her there. On some other days she would be alone. It is just a small place. Just about 30 square meters. After a few prayers, she would light up the candles and rearrange the flowers we bought. On days going to All Saints' Day, she and I would bring stuffs like brooms, rugs, drinking water and some snacks. Some of her nephew would be there also with a can or two of paint and a bottle of kerosene. It would be a general cleaning of  the place. That would more or less be the routine every year. And now, those days are gone. And for a very, very long time I too am alone.

3 comments:

  1. You're wrong if you think and feel that you were alone...she's there, right in your heart, never to leave you. I felt your love for her when you passionately declared, "I could never love again."
    I know envy is akin to sinning, but I couldn't help envying her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first time I saw your face, too...and hers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a few months after she passed away, a year maybe. That I chanced upon an old widower. Somewhere in the middle of our conversation he confided he still cries most of the times that he would think of his wife. And if memory serves it was some 21 long years when his wife died. Shed tears myself? I still do.

    ReplyDelete

My "ZDnet" Bundle

My "Chess" Bundle

Reading Materials and Film Media Galore

Get ready to Rumble