Wednesday, February 17, 2010

An Old Machine


         Aside from the other G60, a desktop PC assembled 8 years ago is what I still use up to this day. Only I had to replace its motherboard some two years back, added a new G-Force FX series videocard, and installed more memory in it. Moreover, I added a DVD/CD-RW Drive mainly to back up large files with. The cpu's 300 watt power supply upgraded to 450 watts. Reconfiguring everything else, it now can compete fairly well in the Indy 500 race.
         Several months went by, I prepared this workhorse to connect to the internet. So I bought several meters of ethernet cable intending to link it to the G60 from upstairs. That plan did not push through. It did not go to waste either. It's one thing I had to thank typhoon Ondoy for. Among the few things we had to move to safer grounds that time were the laptop, the router, and, rightly so, the cable. There in my sister's three-story apartment those cables were put to good use. Two, three weeks went by, the 2-laptop network I set up was still running smoothly. Then I thought of going wireless since the router has the capability for it. After the flood subsided and we were back again to where we once were, I waited for the chance to get me a wireless card to go with my trusty old machine.
          One time at a mall, I went scouring the computer section for the cheapest wireless adapter card for my desktop and had bought just the right one. As soon as I arrived home I started setting up the network. It was only a matter of securing the card into one of the available pci slots and installing the necessary software. Made a few adjustments on  the router's configuration and firewall settings. Now my desktop is connected to the network at 54 mbps with a download speed reaching 70 kbps. The old desktop has turned  into an M2 Bradley IFV Tank. One that had a complete overhaul and with wings to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My "ZDnet" Bundle

My "Chess" Bundle

Reading Materials and Film Media Galore

Get ready to Rumble