Monday, February 1, 2010

Kung Hei Fat Choi



Chinese New Year is just around the corner or in about 14 days more. I slept early and kept the door and windows closed the night before January 1st. Food on the table then were plentiful as usual. Now I am not expecting as much, except I may get to watch some video footage of the traditional dragon dance done in the streets of Chinatown. Already there are a lot of Chinese rice cake being sold in malls. Rice cake is equated with harmonious relationship. Among Orientals (especially the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese), it is valued as such. So people would be seen giving it as a present, wishing all "Kung Hei Fat Choi" and good luck. 
Surely, there will still be some firework display around for the festivities, in the streets of Binondo, at some of the SM Malls of tycoon Henry Sy, in a number of cities in the provinces. And also in many other places like Seoul, Tokyo, and Beijing of course. Others may opt for showing their acrobatic and martial art skills. You may see them gather in small groups of trained athletes wearing colorful vests. It is much the same as what you see in the movies sans the theater seats and popcorn and stuffs.

2 comments:

  1. Chinese New Year was a huge deal in New York City, when I was growing up - but really only in the "Chinatown section" of the city . Here, in southeast Asia, I get to see the real deal.
    - Henry
    http://www.henrybrennan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, forgot to mention those that are in the U.S. Though I get to see them only in the movies. A sister, who resides somewhere near Hollywood, once did say something about going to a Chinatown in their area. Or was it in Nevada? Anyway, I've heard of a similar place when I was in Rome. Looks like they're all over the world.

    ReplyDelete

My "ZDnet" Bundle

My "Chess" Bundle

Reading Materials and Film Media Galore

Get ready to Rumble